Looking for a fun activity for the kids? Build your own homemade kaleidoscope with some simple household items and watch colors come to life!
- 1 – Paper towel roll
- 1 – Sheet of cardstock or scrapbook paper
- 1 – Thin, clear plastic (use scraps from packaging)
- Colorful translucent beads
- Aluminum foil
- Glue gun
- Washi tape (or other decorations)
1. Insert plastic & beads
- Lay the scrap piece of plastic flat and place one end of the tube on top. Trace the circle of the tube. Do this three time and cut out three circles of plastic.
- Use your glue gun to attach one plastic circle to the bottom end of the paper towel roll. Hold until the plastic sticks.
- Note: Be sure that the plastic is taut, as the beads will sit on top.
- Drop your desired number of beads into the tube. Place enough to cover the plastic circle almost completely.
- Insert a second plastic circle on top of the beads.
- Note: Use a pen, pencil, or long skinny object to push the plastic down flat against the beads. Do not push too tight to the beads – there needs to be enough room for the beads to move around.
2. Create the triangle
- Cut three strips of cardboard (1” wide x length of tube)
- Note: Make slightly shorter so that the tube can be covered.
- Cover each strip completely with foil.
- Once covered, glue the three strips into a triangle.
- Place the final triangle into the roll to create the kaleidoscope effect.
- Then place the third plastic circle on top of the circle & glue down.
- Do not glue until you are certain that the triangle is the proper length. If it is too long, trim until it fits.
3. Decorate the exterior
- Decorate one side of the cardstock.
- Pour glue on the non-decorated side of the cardstock and roll the toilet paper tube in it until completely covered.
- Hold the paper on the roll for a few seconds until the glue settles and it is completely stuck.
- Cut any excess from the ends of the paper so that it is smooth.
- Finish decorating and enjoy!