June is World Oceans Month! Celebrate the beauty of this natural wonder and its ability to give life to our environment. Our ocean is the breath of our planet as it provides:
- The Air We Breathe. The ocean produces over half of the world’s oxygen and stores 50 times more carbon dioxide than our atmosphere.
- Climate Regulation. Covering 70 percent of the Earth’s surface, the ocean transports heat from the equator to the poles, regulating our climate and weather.
- Transportation. 76 percent of all U.S. trade involves some form of marine transportation.
- Food. The ocean provides seafood and other ingredients found in other common foods such as peanut butter and soymilk.
- Medicine. Many medicinal products containing ingredients that help fight fatal diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s disease come from the ocean.
This month, join millions of people worldwide to help raise awareness for how our actions directly impact the ocean and to work towards a better, more sustainable future.