Nothing says Thanksgiving quite like a turkey. Mark the special holiday by creating and customizing your own turkey out of recycled items. This craft is not only fun, but good for the environment because it is plastic-free and does not create extra waste that could end up on our roads or in our storm drains! Use the bird to decorate your dining table or gift it to someone that you are thankful for.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Toilet paper or paper towel rolls
- Scrap paper or other recycled paper
- Hot glue/hot glue gun
- School glue
1.Cut your toilet paper roll into one 1.5-in piece for the body and five to six 1-cm pieces for the feathers.
2. Color your paper pages (or use paper that already has color or graphics, like magazine pages).
3. Glue your toilet paper roll feathers onto your paper with school glue.
4. Once the feathers are dry, cut around the leaves, leaving the paper on the back of the feathers.
5. Hot glue your feathers to the back of the turkey’s body. Make sure its feathers don’t sit too low or else your turkey won’t be able to stand up straight.
6. With a marker, draw eyes on your turkey.
7. Using your recycled paper, cut out a triangle for the turkey’s nose and the shape of a wattle.
8. Hot glue the nose and wattle below the eyes.
For more eco-friendly DIY projects, visit our blog to learn how to make your own recycled plastic wreath, kaleidoscope or paper mache globe. When making crafts, always try limit the amount of plastic products that you buy, and repurpose materials from around your home or office. Doing this will help reduce the chance that the litter will end up in our storm drains and waterways. Happy crafting!
Sources: Crafting A Green World, Trash Free Hawaii